July 5, 2009

July 4th 2009

I still get chills watching fireworks go up in our nation's capital. These are the times I am thrilled to be living in DC.

The weekend started off on a worrisome note with Greg's mom's mom - mum mum - in the hospital. We chose to stay in VA Thursday night as they ran some tests on her kidneys and lungs, but we packed an overnight bag just in case.

Friday morning we got the news that the doc even declared she had turned a corner, so we stayed in DC and made calls a few times a day. She is still in the hospital, but she is steadily doing better. As with everyone she has better days and some days slips a little back step, but overall things are looking good.

Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday morning we were over at the George Mason campus taking a motorcycle course. It was a safety course with a test a riding test at the end. If you passed the test you got a certificate that when taken to the DMV gets you an M on your licence.

I have to admit even up to seconds before the test I was positive I was going to fail. Turns out I mastered all the techniques almost perfectly.... I lost 3 points due to low speeds on one part fo the test. Not a bad way to loose points and pass. Greg also passed with a near perfect score, but I don't think anyone is surprised by that one.

We celebrated the 4th at a friend's house in Burke, as we had the early morning call for the motorcycle class Sunday morning. We played some poker in the front lawn enjoying the warm sunny day with cool beers and sangria. The evening saw us BBQing and watching the neighborhood set off fireworks. It was a pretty large group with Brad, Mik, Gertie, Chris, Clarissa and Tim all present.

This Friday I go in to get my M, and in the upcoming weeks Greg, and I will be headed out to Chantilly to rent bikes for some practice parking area rides.

No comments: